Children's Outpatient Services
Wheeler's continuum of services for children and adolescents focuses on intervention, assessment / evaluation, outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and recovery supports.
We help children, adolescents and families develop skills and coping strategies they can use for a lifetime. Wheeler’s Children’s Outpatient Services address behavioral health challenges related to childhood, adolescence, working with clients and caregivers to establish treatment goals specifically related to individualized needs. Clinicians on our team deliver gender-specific, trauma-informed and a person-centered approach to care through individual and family therapy, targeted group therapy, medication management and integrated care coordination with all identified resources for the child.
Wheeler provides state-of-the-art, evidence-based practices such as Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and specialized treatment for individuals facing challenges with anxiety, depression, substance abuse, or who may be victims of sexual abuse, or exhibit problem sexual behaviors and self-harming behaviors.
Substance Abuse Treatment and Recovery Services for Youth and Families
This new service offering helps youth, ages 9 to 18, who are at-risk for or who have substance abuse issues. Offers early intervention, outpatient and intensive in-home levels of substance abuse treatment services and recovery supports for youth struggling with substance use, in addition to new engagement and empowerment supports for their families. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Connecticut, as well as ConnectiCare, Harvard Pilgrim and United Health Care/Oxford (administered by United Behavioral Health operating under the brand Optum) accepted.
Treatment Helps Individuals and Families
- Break the stigma of mental health challenges
- Stop or reduce substance abuse
- Find hope
- Enhance skills to cope with anxiety and depression
- Improve family relationships
- Improve school functioning
- Prevent further involvement with the court or child protective services
Children's Outpatient Services are provided at:
- 225 North Main Street, Bristol, CT 06010
- 43 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105
- 91 Northwest Drive, Plainville, CT 06062
- Pediatric Associates, 10 Enterprise Drive, Bristol, CT 06010
- School-Based Behavioral Health Clinics
- CHIPPENS HILL MIDDLE SCHOOL, 551 Peacedale Street, Bristol
- GREENE-HILLS SCHOOL, 718 Pine Street, Bristol
- SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL, 21 Tuttle Road, Bristol
- WEST BRISTOL SCHOOL, 500 Clark Avenue, Bristol
In most circumstances, Medicaid, private insurance or third-party payer covers service cost. A sliding fee scale, based on an individual’s or family’s ability to pay, is also offered.
Wheeler's children's outpatient services are funded by commercial insurance, the Connecticut Department of Children and Families, the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Court Support Services Division, and United Way of West Central Connecticut
World-Class Customer Service
Wheeler routinely solicits input from clients regarding their experience with the services they receive via an agency satisfaction survey. See Wheeler’s Continuum of Care FY16 report for the most recent response data.