Wheeler's 35th Annual Golf Classic presented by Mutual of America
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Country Club of Farmington
POST-EVENT PAYMENT FOR
[GOLFERS AND SPONSORS]
It was a great day of golf, food, and fun, while supporting individuals and families in our care through our Basic Needs Fund. The Country Club introduced new challenges for golfers in 2020 as they redesign parts of the course to restore it closer to the 1921 Devereux Emmett design!
Thanks to GOLF BALL SPONSOR OneDigital, every golfer received a complementary set of performance Titleist ProV1 golf balls.
FOCUSED ON SAFETY
This year, because of the COVID pandemic, we've been forced to make some adjustments to the event, and we are working closely with the Country Club of Farmington on the latest guidelines. Check back here for the latest news. Some changes you may notice:
- Cashless (or minimal cash) event. We're minimizing cash transactions the day of the tournament, and we thank you for your cooperation. Volunteers will have card readers to maximize the use of credit cards.
- Clean and socially distanced. You'll notice hand sanitizer and wipes will be available for you and for our volunteers. We encourage social distancing to the extent of current health recommendations on the day of the event.
- Face coverings. Face masks or gaiters are required to be worn throughout the day when you are not able to social distance. Instead of a golf shirt, we will provide a gaiter to each golfer this year, thanks to our Platinum Logo Sponsor, Manafort.
SUPPORTING THE BASIC NEEDS FUND
A priority for our organization, the Basic Needs Fund addresses a range of environmental and social factors that interfere with a patient’s health and well-being, but which are not addressed by other means of funding. This fund allows our community health workers to address environmental conditions in the homes, neighborhoods, and communities of our patients at our Family Health & Wellness Centers that might lead to poor health outcomes. It also provides resources to address basic needs such as food, transportation, clothing, shelter, medications, or other items or activities that cannot be accessed through a patient's own resources and/or community-based programs.
Some real-world stories:
- A man was being seen for suboxone treatment, group treatment, and primary care services at our Hartford location. He was facing financial difficulties due to missing work as he focused on his recovery and treatment, and he had some immediate needs that included oil to heat his home. Through your support, we were able to purchase 100 gallons of oil to get him by.
- A mom had recently left a family violence situation with her two children, leaving quickly to stay with family and friends. She works part-time, but had a need for clothing, jackets, and boots for her children. Thanks to you, we were able to purchase jackets, seasonal clothing, and sneakers for the children.
- A patient who is homeless had their cell phone stolen while staying in a shelter, and they do not qualify for assistance in receiving a phone, which is a lifeline for help, support, and daily living. Because of your support, the basic needs fund was used to purchase a low-price phone and some pre-paid minutes.
- A mother of three got a job offer but couldn't pay for transportation to and from work before she received her first pay check. With your generosity, we were able to purchase a bus pass for her.
- A family lost all of their personal items in a fire.Donors like you allowed us to purchase toiletries and personal items for them.
- Throughout the holidays, the Basic Needs Fund was used to supplement food for families, and help people get by in that difficult time of the year.
YOUR SUPPORT MATTERS.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN 2019!
The 2019 Golf Classic (photos and news story) raised nearly $60,000 to support Wheeler’s community health centers in Hartford, New Britain, and Bristol, as well as our organization’s Basic Needs Fund. Thank you for helping us to improve health outcomes for individuals and families.