Integrated Primary and Behavioral Health Care
Your total health is our priority, and we offer a range of primary care and behavioral health services to meet your needs at convenient locations in Central Connecticut. Need primary care? We offer physical exams, routine health screening and, in Hartford, on-site dental care. Living with addiction, depression or anxiety? We provide medication-assisted treatment for opioid and alcohol use, as well as other substance use disorders, screening, intervention, family supports, and access to counseling. Have complex medical issues that need attention? Treatment, support and linkages to care are readily available. Find out more about our Family Health & Wellness Centers, which are community health centers, and visit us today for a healthier tomorrow.
Temporary site hours due to COVID-19 pandemic:
- Wheeler outpatient and primary care sites, including our Family Health & Wellness Centers in Bristol, Plainville, Hartford, New Britain, and Waterbury, and 91 Northwest Drive location in Plainville, welcome walk-ins, however, calling first is strongly recommended. Most services can be provided by telephone or telehealth.
- Wheeler's Navigation Center is open at 860.793.3500, Monday through Thursday, 8AM to 6PM and Friday from 8AM to 5PM.
- Wheeler Family Health & Wellness Center, Bristol community health center
10 North Main Street, Bristol
225 North Main Street, Bristol
- Wheeler Family Health & Wellness Center, Hartford community health center
43 Woodland Street, Hartford
- Wheeler Health & Wellness Center, New Britain community health center
75 North Mountain Road, New Britain
- Wheeler Family Health & Wellness Center, Plainville community health center NEW!
91 Northwest Drive, Plainville
- Wheeler Family Health & Wellness Center, Waterbury community
855 Lakewood Road, Waterbury
Whole-Person Care Across the Lifespan
Wheeler expanded the scope of its federally qualified health center (FQHC)to meet the health care needs of individuals with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders in Hartford, New Britain and surrounding communities.
Individuals with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders are often reluctant to engage in primary care services and experience disparities in access to health care and health care outcomes. Many of the patients Wheeler currently serves from Hartford, New Britain and surrounding communities do not have a primary care physician, experience multiple co-morbid health disorders and are frequently seen in the emergency department. These patients have difficulty engaging in primary care through traditional channels. Their experience of stigma in health care settings and past exposure to trauma often create substantial barriers to care.
Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial health insurance welcome. No patient will be denied health care services due to an individual’s inability to pay for services. Wheeler is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n) .
Did you know you can voluntarily request that your prescribing practitioners not prescribe opioid medications for your conditions? Click here to download a Voluntary Non-Opioid Directive Form.