Northwest Village School
91 Northwest Drive
Plainville, CT 06062
Northwest Village School offers a state-of-the-art learning environment and student learning resources that encourages growth and discovery. Wheeler’s teachers bring an array of subjects to life in a sensory-sensitive environment that includes engaging classrooms and innovative tools for learning. Students prepare for the future using the latest technology, and they are engaged in recreational and creative activities in the school’s gym and performance space.
“He would not have had the chance to see his potential without the team you have put together.”
-Parent perspective on Wheeler’s Education Services Team
The Wheeler Difference
Supported by an array of clinical services, a wide range of innovative and supportive instructional approaches and special education programs help students engage in academics, build confidence and move forward in their learning.
- A low 3:1 student/teacher ratio ensures students receive the attention and support they need.
- An innovative co-teacher model pairs special education teachers and regular education teachers to offer engaging and individualized teaching in most content areas.
- A broad range of enrichment activities, including art, music, physical education, pre-vocational programming, and life skills, helps round out the academic experience.
- Individual, group and family therapies are provided by experienced behavioral health, speech and occupational therapy clinicians trained in a range of clinical approaches designed to address mental health, behavioral and other challenges from a transdisciplinary and trauma-informed perspective.
A Coordinated, Integrated Approach
A transdisciplinary team approach that includes a full continuum of educational, mental health, psychiatry, speech, occupational therapy and health and wellness services in one location
- Specialized programming, such as community-based learning and transition services
- Close coordination with home school districts and families to ensure that students’ success comes first
- Short-term diagnostic placements and multidisciplinary evaluations to provide an individualized assessment of student needs
- Neurofeedback and biofeedback to assist with non-medication-based approaches to address issues related to stress, anxiety, trauma and ADHD symptoms
- Student placement services
- Linkages with other programs offered across the Wheeler continuum
In FY16, students at Northwest Village School experienced an improvement in functioning and problem severity.
See more of our positive outcomes in Wheeler’s Continuum of Care FY16 report.