Therapeutic Foster Care
On any given day in Connecticut, there are thousands of children in foster care and more who need safe, loving homes. Wheeler Clinic’s Therapeutic Foster Care program provides 24-hour-a-day supported family homes to children and adolescents, primarily ages 6 through 17, needing a therapeutic level of foster care. The program also serves younger children as part of a sibling group and works with children over 18 years of age.
The program offers foster families training and ongoing support to help them provide a structured and nurturing environment to children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse and/or neglect, and who may be experiencing symptoms related to trauma, loss and other behavioral health concerns.
Training and Support for Foster Families
- Foster families are trained by program staff around the needs of children in care prior to child placement
- Careful attention is given to matching children with families that will best be able to meet their unique needs
- The program provides comprehensive support service to foster families,
- 24/7 on-call response by foster care staff clinicians
- Respite care
- Weekly visits
- Ongoing training and parenting education to help foster parents understand and meet the unique needs of the child in their care
We serve families throughout Central Connecticut, including Greater New Britain, Greater Hartford, Greater Waterbury and Torrington
Therapeutic Foster Care Office Location
88 East Street
Plainville, CT 06062
Connecticut Department of Children and Families