Pre-trial Drug Education Program
Wheeler Clinic’s Pre-trial Drug Education Program serves individuals, ages 18+, charged with possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia for the first time. The program includes assessment and assignment to either a 15-week educational group experience.
The program is designed to educate clients about:
- The physiological/ psychological effects of drugs
- The impact of drug abuse on social functioning
- Risk factors for continued use
- The disease process
- Skill-building techniques.
The program includes various exercises to:
- Help clients learn the skill of self-evaluation and reduce further drug abuse
- Decrease the risk of re-offending
- Identify individuals in need of more intensive treatment
This program serves adults in Bristol, Greater New Britain, Greater Waterbury and statewide.
Individuals in this program are court-referred.
Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services