Main Street Community Foundation Grant Supports Wheeler’s Walk With Me Program
Wheeler received a $5,000 grant from the Bristol Brass General Grant Fund at the Main Street Community Foundation to support its Walk With Me program. The grant will be used to support the work of a peer support specialist, and enhance and expand parent/caregiver services for LGBTQIA+ families.
“We are so grateful for the Main Street Community Foundation’s support for this innovative program,” said Sabrina Trocchi, PhD, MPA, president and chief executive officer, Wheeler. “This grant will help us to further meet the needs of the LGBTQIA+ community with our full continuum of affirming, integrated primary and behavioral health care services.”
The grant will expand Walk With Me program services to:
- Provide parents and caregivers with guidance and strategies to navigate their child’s and family’s journey
- Identify and inform youth, parents, and caregivers of existing online and other community resources
- Connect parents and caregivers with available community resources and opportunities, including linkages to needed health services when identified
- Encourage intra-and inter-family support networks
- Broaden community outreach and education
- RELATED: Meet the Walk With Me team.
- RELATED: Read the story of the donation that is supporting Walk With Me.
Walk With Me is a specialized outpatient treatment track for LGBTQIA+-identifying people of all ages who are seeking therapeutic and/or peer support to address their specific needs. The Walk with Me track is designed to create a safe, affirming, and inclusive array of services for LGBTQIA+ people and their loved ones where they can be validated, explore their identities, reduce feelings of isolation, strengthen their support system, and develop skills to cope with stress and stigma. With an emphasis on treating the whole person, this track includes a dedicated team of behavioral health, medical, and peer support staff to provide robust wrap-around services that are tailored to meet the needs of each unique patient, wherever they are on their journey.
Main Street Community Foundation
Main Street Community Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for both present and future generations in the communities served by encouraging and promoting gift planning, prudent stewardship of assets, effective grant making and community leadership. A nonprofit public charity, created by private citizens, the Foundation works with donors who wish to build permanent charitable endowments to support the communities of Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington, and Wolcott.